About the Program
Now in its second year, Reach the Runway provides mentorships for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students on Oʻahu who are interested in journalism, photography, fashion design, magazine design, hair and makeup, styling or modeling.
Students learn from accomplished professionals in each field, expanding their technical skills and developing confidence, determination and passion for their future endeavors.
In alignment with the Lieutenant Governor’s R.E.A.C.H. initiative, Reach the Runway provides creative arts programs and similar activities to promote personal growth and development.
Applications for the class of 2017 will be available at a later date. Please stay tuned for details.
How to Apply
Each year, up to three students from each category will be selected to participate. Over a three-month period, students will meet twice a month to hone their craft and build a portfolio of work. Each student will have their work displayed during the consecutive year’s HONOLULU Fashion Week.
To apply, students should submit a 300-word essay describing what Hawai‘i Fashion means to them. In addition, they must select one of seven areas of interest and submit the required materials:
- Journalism: A 400-word essay explaining why they are interested in Journalism and how they think they could contribute to HONOLULU Fashion Week. Or, two essays that have been published and/or submitted for a school assignment.
- Photography: Three original, unaltered photos.
- Fashion Design: Two original fashion design sketches, or photos of two completed fashion design pieces.
- Magazine Design: One magazine cover mockup.
- Hair and Makeup: Before and after photos of a hair and makeup transformation, on the student or another person.
- Styling: Photos of at least two outfits that the student has put together incorporating the season’s current trends.
- Modeling: A full-length photo and a close-up photo, without makeup.
- Only students who are enrolled in the 6th, 7th or 8th grade at an Oʻahu school as of April 1, 2017 may apply.
- Students must submit separate applications if applying for multiple categories.
- Parents/guardians must fill out each field of the online application. Incomplete applications will be discarded.
- All applications must be submitted online. No mail or email submissions will be accepted.
- Essays must be submitted as a word document and should be typed and double-spaced using a 12-point font. Entries that are over the word limit will be discarded.
- Other materials, such as photographs, must be submitted as PDFs or JPEGs.
- All entries will become the property of aio Foundation.